Research opportunities for exceptionally talented and strongly motivated students
Ph.D & Integrated Ph.D Admissions
(academic programmes starting August 2017)
TCIS, TIFR Hyderabad invites applications for admissions to its Ph.D & Integrated Ph.D degree programmes. The next application window will be in the month of April-May 2017. The doctoral programme at TCIS offers exciting research opportunities in a range of subject areas, and rigorous training aimed at fostering the broad academic growth of students and to meet the specialized needs of their research. The students will receive a degree through the subject boards of the graduate school of TIFR.
Current research activities at TCIS are in the areas of Soft Condensed Matter Physics, Fluid Dynamics, Materials, Chemical Sciences, Optics and Biological Sciences. Sophisticated experimental facilities involving lasers, NMR and high performance computation support research at TCIS. These activities are planned to expand rapidly in the near future to include other areas.
GRADUATE SCHOOL (GS-2017):
Physics Subject Board:
- Ph.D.: M.Sc. (Physics) / B.Tech. & B.E. (Engineering Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech/ M.Tech. or equivalent science/engineering/medical degree that requires four or more years of university training.
- Integrated Msc-Ph.D.: B.Sc/ B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm or equivalent science/engineering/medical degree / M.Sc. (other than physics)/ M.Tech/ M. Pharm/ MBBS or equivalent science/ engineering/ medical Masters degree.
In addition the candidate must have qualified in any of the following examinations:
The written test of TIFR, GATE (valid score) / JEST (valild score) / CSIR UGC NET (JRF eligible). The exams must have been taken in the two years immediately preceding the application date. The cut off marks / rank in each of the qualifying exams will be decided based on the intake for that academic year.
Candidates with M.Tech. / M.E. / M.S. (Engg.) can submit their earlier scores of GATE / equivalent.
Chemistry Subject Board:
- Ph.D.: M.Sc. / M.Tech / B.E. / B.Tech in Chemistry.
- Integrated Msc-Ph.D.: B.Sc. / B.Pharm
In addition the candidate must have qualified in the written test of TIFR.
Biology Subject Board:
- Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Sciences or Bachelors in Applied Science. These include, M.Sc.(Ag.), B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 years course), MBBS, BDS, M.Pharma. In addition the candidate must have qualified in the written test of TIFR. Candidates will be short-listed for interview based on written test marks, CV and Scientific Writeup.
Selected candidates (based on their academic performance and in the qualifying tests mentioned above) will be called for a personal interview. The interviews are probably held in Jan / Feb for those qualified through TIFR written exam at TIFR, Mumbai. Please visit http://univ.tifr.res.in/gs2017/index.html for further details.
For the candidates who have applied directly to TCIS, interviews will be held probably in May / June at TCIS, Hyderabad.
The applications will be open once the advertisement is released (probably in Mar / Apr). You are strongly encouraged to apply online. However, if you are not able to, please download the application form, print, fill and mail it to the following address:
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences,
21, Brundavan Colony, Narsingi,
Hyderabad – 500075, INDIA.
Ph: +91 40 2419 5034
Scan the filled form and email it to: email@example.com
If you would like a hardcopy of the application form or have any other queries, write to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Application form request” or “Inquiry” in the Subject line.
- TA/DA as applicable will be paid to candidates selected for interviews.